These are the easiest thing to make, but taste and look fancy enough for gifts or company.
Smudge of oil or shortening
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup light brown or white sugar, packed
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup flour
3/4 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with oil or shortening
- Melt the butter over low heat, stir in the sugar and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, cinnamon, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t overmix.
- Stir in the cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until done. A toothpick inserted in the batter (not chips or craisins) should come out clean.
- Try to cool in pan for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving. I wrap each individually and then freeze in an airtight container so I can just pull out one or two as needed. Rumour has it they freeze for up to six months, but who knows?
EDITTED: to correct title. Blondies, not brownies, d’uh.