It’s Tuesday... which means you may as well be that fish right there... because fuck that fish in particular.
- 1899 – New Richmond tornado: The eighth deadliest tornado in U.S. history kills 117 people and injures around 200.
- 1914 – Massacre of Phocaea: Turkish irregulars slaughter 50 to 100 Greeks and expel thousands of others in an ethnic cleansing operation in the Ottoman Empire.
- 1942 – Anne Frank receives a diary for her thirteenth birthday.
- 1943 – The Holocaust: Germany liquidates the Jewish Ghetto in Brzeżany, Poland (now Berezhany, Ukraine). Around 1,180 Jews are led to the city’s old Jewish graveyard and shot.
- 1963 – NAACP field secretary Medgar Evers is murdered in front of his home in Jackson, Mississippi by Ku Klux Klan member Byron De La Beckwith during the civil rights movement.
- 1964 – Anti-apartheid activist and ANC leader Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life in prison for sabotage in South Africa.
- 1991 – 1991 Kokkadichcholai massacre: The Sri Lankan Army massacres 152 minority Tamil civilians in the village of Kokkadichcholai near the eastern province town of Batticaloa.
- 1994 – Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman are murdered outside Simpson’s home in Los Angeles. Her estranged husband, O.J. Simpson is later charged with the murders, but is acquitted by a jury.
- 2016 – Forty-nine civilians are killed and 58 others injured in an attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida; the gunman, Omar Mateen, is killed in a gunfight with police.
Birthdays (love that George Bush, Anne Frank, and Jason Mewes were all born today)
- 1916 – Irwin Allen, American director and producer (d. 1991)
- 1919 – Uta Hagen, German-American actress and educator (d. 2004)
- 1924 – George H. W. Bush, American lieutenant and politician, 41st President of the United States
- 1928 – Vic Damone, American singer-songwriter and actor (d. 2018)
- 1929 – Anne Frank, German-Dutch diarist; victim of the Holocaust (d. 1945)
- 1930 – Jim Nabors, American actor and singer (d. 2017)
- 1941 – Marv Albert, American sportscaster
- 1941 – Chick Corea, American pianist and composer
- 1948 – Len Wein, American comic book writer and editor
- 1957 – Timothy Busfield, American actor, director, and producer
- 1964 – Paula Marshall, American actress (swoon)
- 1965 – Cathy Tyson, English actress (swooner)